Thursday, November 29, 2012

Swan Nouveau

This little fella started off as an 'S' doodle. If you haven't already noticed, I take a great interest in the feathered animals and animals with wings. I'm just drawn to their beauty! It may have started with a California Wildlife and Invertebrate course back in college. I got to touch preserved animals. Way COOL! 

The class was divided into lecture and lab. Lectures were interesting, but lab was the coolest part of the week. My inner kid sort of took control of my body. When the instructor brought out all the birds my eyes nearly popped out of my sockets. Their feathers are soft and gorgeously colored. The birds' anatomy are fascinating. My favorite had to be the pygmy owl. It's small size and cute face are almost too irresistible to hug so closely. 

Anyhow, birds are amazing creatures and I learned a lot about California species in that course. It was a great science experience that just about pulled me into a science major. Sadly, my brain finds it difficult to grasp some of the material in a college bio course. Well, maybe it was just the way the test were designed?....


Well, I know for a fact that I do good in the arts. Writing, reading, and visual creations are more my forte. For this drawing I added something of an armor around the bird's neck. That may be the Steampunk 'Industrialization' influence or the need to guard such a beautiful creature. Ha! It works. Added a body, color, shading, and presto! My drawings typically start with head doodles and I work my way to the body last. I work my way from the top, down. Just my drawing style. I find the body the hardest part of the thought process. Somewhat like an essay. 

6" x 8" prismacolor pencils & charcoal

As the saying goes, "Birds of a feather, flock together"...

No comments:

Post a Comment